WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Now that we got a stove with a glass stovetop do I need to do anything different for canning? I read that water bath canners aren't flat bottomed (I have to go and dig mine out) and can cause a pocket of air and the stove top can crack. I could can with a propane or electrical burner outside but then I worry about air temperature. UGH. I didn't even think about canning when DH picked out the stove.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

So I found this today, if you watch the first 2 min and 40 sec seems like the electric canner is recommended but not approved by the USDA. So then I went back to the website to order it and yep, sure enough it just meets the requirements but it isn't approved or certified so says the 'stamp of approval'

1648240635698.png

So then what does that mean exactly? Anyone? If the USDA won't approve it then is it still as safe as a stove top pressure canner?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have a patch...BUT...Ball canning bk says you can raw pack, 1" headspace, salt and hot water...@10# for 30 min pints or 40 min qts. They suggest 1/2 tsp salt in pint & 1 tsp qts. Also, can blanch then can, same way. Guess depends on how soft you want end product to eat. Of course. Hot jars to start.😊
Cool, thanks!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ball says to skim off fat. Rebel canners say a layer of fat is an added layer of sealing. I think the concern is that fat could go rancid? I leave the fat on ground meat, and it gets used up fast enough that rancidity is never a concern here.

i wouldn't think that rancidity would be as much of an issue if you pressure cook because most of the air is gone from a jar by the time it finishes. i've never had canned meat go rancid in the metal cans from the stores and there's fat in those at times. i've not pressure canned meats here so i can't really speak from direct experience there.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My thought was concern with grease getting between lid gasket and jar rim... :idunno

if you use a filler funnel you might not get much on the rims.

also out of habit though i always wipe the rims with a very clean washcloth to make sure they are clean and clear of anything that might mess them up.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have not, but I still have strawberries so maybe I will. My mom always froze strawberry rhubarb jam in the white square plastic containers ;)

i may never make cooked strawberry jam again as far as the flavor goes in comparison. :) i used to make 50 or more pints a year.