WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Taking my life in my hands and canning butter today, 9 pints. Also, 12 pints of ground beef.
I want to can butter so-ooo bad.. Lots of people do it...think it'll kill us?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
If it does, I will go out with a greasy smile on my face !

I have heard a lot more success stories than not. In fact, the only negatives I have heard were from "you are going to die if you don't follow our rules" sites. My hero is Jackie Clay at Backwoods Home, so if she has been canning butter all these years without dying, I am thinking I will manage.

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Finally finished canning for the evening....

I canned..

5 pints of pork tenderloin

2 pints of shredded pork

2 pints of beef roast

4 pints of cranberry beans

Now, I'm sitting here smiling everytime I hear a ping....ping...ping...

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Finally I can post...5 quarts of pea soup, 8 pints of navy bean soup and 7 pints of chicken stock! What a fun day:)

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Was that split pea soup? Share the recipe and canning time please. My DH has texture problems so although I love pea soup and I am out of freezer space I am reduced to Campbells. Would love to make ahead and just open a pint for me.

hunterjumper999

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
can someone please post pictures of canned meat? i'd love to try it with my pressure canner but im very visual and if it looks gross i wont bother.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Sure....

Picture404.jpg

Jars with white rings are smoked pork in BBQ sauce.

Under that is turkey.

To the left of the turkey on the side wall is two shelves of meatloaf and ham and beans. Above them are sweet potatoes and butternut squash.

Picture116.jpg

Skinless, boneless chicken breasts.

Picture192.jpg

Top shelf, right side is deep pit beef.
Top shelf left side is soups, baked beans and cubed chicken.
Middle shelf, left side, chicken breasts and cubed chicken.
Middle shelf, right side, turkey meatloaf and ham.
Bottom shelf is soups and stews.

Edited to add ham....

hunterjumper999

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
awesome!

So basically ( and forgive the newby canner question) i can can ANYTHING with a pressure canner?!

yay!

Meatloaf here i come!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Pretty much !!!! I just did my first batch of butter last week, even though "the food police" say not to. I dont' think whole milk turns out very well, and you have to be careful with the thickness of soups and stews and veggies. I use Jackie Clay of Backwoods Home as my go to expert (especially in the middle of the night when everyone on the east coast here is sleeping!), and she cans things I would never have thought of. I have saved a fortune and a whole shelf of freezer space by canning chicken, beef and turkey stock.

Edited to give a disclaimer, that you need to follow proven instructions to the letter in all cases. I didn't get brave with the butter until I had canned almost 1200 jars of all kinds of things.

Latest posts