WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Puck-Puck

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Canned some black currants Thursday in jam form. I mixed them with saskatoon berries, which around here are a little bland, but the currants are really punchy and are still flavourful with an extender. I got 7 or 8 pints, with what I picked from the bush out back. A neighbour said I could harvest his currant bushes too--and he didn't even want any back! From his berries, which are tarter, I am vinting saskatoon-currant wine, which I think will be a reasonable fake of a merlot. I hope.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Mmmmm, I love black currants. Can't grow them here though, too bad.

I canned 6 jars of peach sauce. I made peach sauce, because these peaches were deformed and had scabby skins. And I'm hoping SO will like it. He doesn't care for the regular canned peaches, I love them. But I have a few of those done already.

I am trying to preserve something every day. In order to help myself do that I added it to my daily to do list, which is posted on the refridgerator.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
8 pints of salsa - best I have made so far!
8 pints of chili sauce

Both recipes from the Ball Blue Book

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LAST 11 quarts of blue lake pole beans no thanks to my own ignorance and a gazillion spider mites. i learned something yesterday as i frantically searched for a solution to my problem mites, i have always been a reactive gardener meaning i see a bug and i immediately spray it, its just what dad always did, i and we need to be proactive to make this work. im sure most of you are but it took a strong kick in the arse to make me see the error of my way. from now on im on offense instead of defense. now i just have to figure out the best strategy, products and plants to do this with.

jenlyn9483

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You people are TOO motivating.. I have been up since 4, some days I cannot sleep so I get up really early not long after my Fiance goes to work. I have made 5 pints of Spegetti Sauce, 5 pints of Salsa, and i have 19 cups of spicy Cabbage relish marinating to process around noon. Which the recipe came from a fellow SS'er probably from this thread. This is the first time i am making it. I sure hope it turns out as good as my sweet pickle relish did. I did not have any cauliflower so I omitted it and just used extra cabbage and green tomatoes. Also instead of putting a chilli pepper into each jar for spiciness, I minced about two cups of hot peppers from my garden.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
More tomatoes yesterday. These came from my garden and I made an extra thick and zesty sauce to use for pizza. 8 pints.

:D

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
It's me again :D Do you happen to have the recipe for that zesty pizza sauce? I would love it! Thanks in advance. Can you tell I am anticipating tomatoes? I only have had 4 ripe ones so far, but I have about 100 plants out there so if they ever ripen, I'll be appreciating more recipes :)

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
grape jelly
tons of zucchini blueberry jam - found a deal at walmart supercenter on blueberries $1 pnt box so grabbed some up for my jam and just to eat LOL

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
It's me again :D Do you happen to have the recipe for that zesty pizza sauce? I would love it! Thanks in advance. Can you tell I am anticipating tomatoes? I only have had 4 ripe ones so far, but I have about 100 plants out there so if they ever ripen, I'll be appreciating more recipes :)
Uhh no recipe. I read someone post around here that they just added more seasonings and garlic to their reg tomato sauce recipe. so thats what I did. I cooked it down a bit more so it was kinda thick then processed it.

I am not good with recipes. sorry!!! :hide

May be do a search in the kitchen section.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Completely fantastic day, with three cases of jars to fill !

Pressure canning right now peaches and pears. Prepping chili verde.

Latest posts