WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

debbie.h

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I took all my tomatoes out of the freezer the other day, ran them through the mill, and am cooking them down for sauce right now. I will can and process them this afternoon.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
This winter, I canned four or five hams. All of them were canned in cubes, one was raw and the others were cooked before I canned them. I prefer the cooked somehow. The flavor is richer to me, I think.

I have used them at breakfast, with omlettes, with scalloped potatoes, and to add to soups. Of all the meats I canned, ham is my favorite.

This week, I tried a ham spread that was posted here: ground ham, brown sugar, crushed pineapple, a bit of cloves, in the food processor to make a spread. When it was canned, the sugars carmelized and it became dark brown, but the flavor was good. I am not sure how I would use it in a sandwich, but crumbled in scrambled eggs as good, if not a bit sweet.

kimnkell said:
VT-Chicklit said:
I canned 3 quarts and 3 pints of ham, 1 quart of pork chops and 1 pint of short ribs (for sauce).
How did you can your ham? Did you fry it first and then put it in the jars? Did you add water to it?

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
This winter, I canned four or five hams. All of them were canned in cubes, one was raw and the others were cooked before I canned them. I prefer the cooked somehow. The flavor is richer to me, I think.

I have used them at breakfast, with omlettes, with scalloped potatoes, and to add to soups. Of all the meats I canned, ham is my favorite.

This week, I tried a ham spread that was posted here: ground ham, brown sugar, crushed pineapple, a bit of cloves, in the food processor to make a spread. When it was canned, the sugars carmelized and it became dark brown, but the flavor was good. I am not sure how I would use it in a sandwich, but crumbled in scrambled eggs as good, if not a bit sweet.

kimnkell said:
VT-Chicklit said:
I canned 3 quarts and 3 pints of ham, 1 quart of pork chops and 1 pint of short ribs (for sauce).
How did you can your ham? Did you fry it first and then put it in the jars? Did you add water to it?
Yes, I posted a recipe for Hawaiian Ham Spread, is that the one you tried? I just opened a jar the other night and heated it up and made sandwiches with it and it was good although I didn't care for the cloves in it very much,but still it was a good use for the leftovers from our ham.. Putting it in eggs is a good idea too.:D

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
It tasted grat, although I did cut back on the cloves a bit. I had some ham hocks that I used to cook beans, and I used that meat, so it was a little less flavorful than it would have been, but it was good !

I wasn't thinking about heating it for sandwiches. That makes more sense. I was thinking it would be like that most delicious of all substances -- SPAM !!!

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like SPAM. Esp the lite Na one. I've been to the main Hormel plant in MN and saw SPAM being made. Its not made of junk - just ham trimmings, and is uniquely canned in a multi story tower. The town ppl don't call their company Hor MEL. They call it HOR mel. Interesting..

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, I tried that SPAM spread with pineapple in those little bitty cans like potted meat and that recipe reminded me of it so I thought it might be like it. I think with a little tweaking I could probably make it more like that.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I found this site with some delicious looking canning recipes and wanted to share it. I have just finished copying text only to a Word document so I can save it on my computer. I may have the ingredients for the lettuce wraps in the house right now, and I have a lot of lettuce in the ground as well. This could work !

@thefunnyfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello all:D I found this site a few days ago and have been addicted ever since. I have went through all 88 pages of this thread and feel like I already know each of you. My computer will take days to dry out between Beekissed cow kisses and tear falling down from laughing so hard at Ldychef2k's remarks. I normaly just visit forums for research. I have never seen such a group of motivating and inspiring people. Most if asked ? from newcomers give wisecracks and lack the family feeling you have here. Anyways thanks to all of you.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Welcome to Sufficient Self @thefunnyfarm! :frow

You are right I have NEVER found another group of folks quite like these people. I dropped in one day and have just stayed and played ever since! I hope that you do the same. Lots to learn here! :D