Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Count your blessings
Screenshot_20220616-193418.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That sounds interesting! Nothing like that here in VA, that I'm aware of. Feb weather might be an issue there. 🤷. But Feb is a good time in sense of "something to do" 😁

I'm waiting for rain today. All the elements are here...just no drops of water. 🤔 Yet.

i know there are some in Kentucky in the spring, but i stick pretty close to home these days so i haven't made it that far.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do not understand equinox or that but here is the screenshot for the 21st June. I am a lost city gal trying to fit in in the country, o_O View attachment 19230
😲 15 hours and 25 minutes of daylight. you should be able to grow some nice onions. Let me go through some of my old notes and I'll give you a couple of links to read through. Will be later this evening before I respond.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses @Dreamz

Start here the website has changed a lot since last I looked but I learned a lot about onions from the onion guy. I'll see if I can't find his growing guides. They were packed full of good info.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@CrealThank so much.

Down today. Have a huge project that I need to finish by next Friday and then Saturday, to Lansing bright and early for a day with BYC group. My knee hurts, no sleep last night. Trying to stay awake,lol Hub gave me a scared last night when he walked into my room and just stood there. He heard me crying about the pain and came to check on me.
He did the whole acre lawn mowing. I only went out twice to feed the chickens and to collect eggs. Before turning in, need to close them up and water the "garden",lol I would like to call it a garden,lol

Oh forgot, I did planted sme Spanish Sweet Onions. Hope they do well. These days are long. 9pm and it is still clear outside.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hang in there @Dreamz ! IT IS hard work to garden!!! Benefits are great when you have a good year. 😊. It takes little to make you happy -- one great tomato! 🤣

If this is first year garden, harder. But everything you get is a positive. Don't feel failure because even best gardeners have troubles. There's always "next year" a gardeners favorite phrase. 🤭
It is my first year. Moved here in November 2020. Summer of 2021 all went towards chickens. Coop, run, winterizing... a real mess as first timer chicken owner. We had when growing up but mom was in charge, not me. I was sent to the best school to make sure I learned the best. All my books were in English except my Spanish books. However, nobody spoke English back at home. So, I learned to think in English first even when my first language was Spanish. Had a rough life like everyone does but I met my Lord again. I always knew about Him but never had a personal relationship until 2009. So, He showed me His creation and fell in love with it. Go to the city because I have to. Love the darkness, the quiet, the different noises of birds,frogs,tractors that are working the land. This fills me. I am content with what I have and sometimes I even give because that He puts in me. Hub is the complete opposite of me in everything which at times it frustrates me to the point that I get on my truck and just drive through my State and get peace looking at farms and lands. Nothing like a country road!
I do not eat vegetables but I feed the chickens and the hub with them . I never had a green thumb but I depend on God's green thumb. All my inside plants die except green onions,lol I guess it's because I only put water when the cup is empty,lol However, I want to learn and be able to work the land and see His glory.

It is a lot of work but I am willing to give it what I have even the little that I have left. Next year will depend on Him. If I see it, I will do. If not, at least I tried. Sorry if I went over. I try to be an open book always. It does not takes away but it does helps me to keep learn and keep my values which nobody can take away from me unless I give them away. You are all teaching me so much so far. I am so honored and blessed to have you all

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks. Wish I had been able to do more. I am so old and tired and blind at this gardening stuff,lol You all are amazing!

we all had to start somewhere too. :) it takes time to build up stamina and past injuries (or present ones) do present challenges. finding ways to work around things and being flexible enough, like knowing when to take a break or finding others to help or whatever it takes.

yesterday i was so hoping to have a garden done with being weeded and prepped and planting but by midday my feet were aching and i was done so that was it until later when i went back out and scraped for a few minutes to finish up the last 10 square feet that i'm not going to finish digging. it would have taken me another two or perhaps three hours to get those dug up and gone through (it hasn't rained in a long time so the ground is hard to dig and breaking up those clumps of clay and getting all the quack grass roots out of there takes time). scraping takes about 10 minutes in comparison but then the grass will keep coming back again and then spreads further so it's a certain trade-off between putting the time in now and not having as much work later or knowing i'll be back again to digging it again, but i'm hoping at least by that time my feet will not be injured.

a good hot weather project is also a part of it too in that i need to screen some gravel from the dirt along that edge. but first i need to get this garden planted so i can move on to other projects.

nature is giving me a break this morning with these very much needed and appreciated rains.