Who can come up with the wildest SS story?

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Eating chicken reminds me of a story. Right after dh and I got married dh killed a possum. He then skinned and cleaned it and brought it in. He wanted to try possum. Well I had never cooked possum before so I figured just fry it like chicken. So I cut it up, battered it, and fried it. Well Sil and her kids were over and she knew what had happened. I got a few pieces fried up when nephew who was 4 came by and wanted a piece. I told him to ask his mom. She was fine with it so I gave him a piece. He wolfed it down and came back for another which I gave him. He came back again and said "aunt 'becca I like your fried chicken!". I told him "It's not fried chicken, baby, it's fried possum". He thought for a second and finally said " aunt 'becca, I like fried possum!". Sil and I rolled with laughter at how serious he said it. Poor dh didn't get hardly any!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I eat coon, but never tried possum yet.
Thats another thing. DH would eat coon, then he suddenly decided not to, but my brother used to give me whatever he killed, so when DH was being really mean or stupid in our younger days, I'd feed him coon and pretend it was something else.
My brother had an English Bull. You didn't know if it was coming or going because both sides looked pretty much the same....well thats what I told our Deacon when he was visiting once. He said, IDK....I think I like the back better than the front. And I was always wanting to get a breathing treatment ready for it, cuz it sounded like it was choking. And the crazy part was hearing that they went for 1,500 a piece. Then I was told a lot of times the dogs needed to be artifically inseminated because the males didn't have the air to finish and would vomit, etc...I would say, "God apparently has selected this breed for extinction and people are forcing it to stay on the planet."

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: That is the best laugh I've had in a long, long time, Rhoda!!! Clearly we are sisters from another mother!!!! :lol: :gig :gig :lol:

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
5 yrs ago after moving in to the family house we started our garden by hand. We didn't have a rototiller or nothing at that time. So we used hammers to break the ground up. :) People laughed seeing my family and I out in the yard on our hands and knees using hammers. :) Worked great I thought. My dad felt so bad he went and bought us a tiller. In exchange for veggies. It was a wonderful gift and my wife started to talking to me again after that. :)

Our first yr 5 yrs ago starting our gardens. All by hand. :)
1289_garden1.jpg

After the tiller Next yr

1289_garden_2_april.jpg

Last yr We have another area on the other side of the house we started last yr. Yes we dropped the house in the background. Didn't want to but had to.

1289_garden_may_1st_2011.jpg

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Years ago we had an ongoing "feud" with our neighbors. (All in fun). They went on summer vacation, and we house sat for them. So we stole a realty for sale sign and sold their house. So when we went on vacation they got us some pigs and turned them loose in the pasture... don't think we ever did find them all. So that winter when we were plowing the drive way and part of the road in front of us and we piled all the snow in front of their driveway, it was a soft powdery snow and the pile was @ 4 ft high. But we didn't factor that it was a very nice day and he didn't get home till after dark :hide he backed up real far and took a run at it in his jeep... and WHAM. It had melted and iced back up. We didn't do that one again! We also would have pop bottle rocet fights from our gardens. I miss them!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Funny, they sound like fun neighbors! I've never had one of those..... :(

TF, that is a real desire to have a garden if you had to hammer one out of the ground! :lol: I'da bought ya a tiller too...you earned it! :)

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes we miss them! One year when we were gone on vacation they painted our house and garage! Orange, pink, purple, bright green, ect. Every side was another color! People kept driving by, aparently they got word to the local newspaper 2 days before we got back so EVERYONE had to go see the loud house.:(

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I remember when I was a kid we had a half broke pony. My dad kept him chained (with a dog chain) to the fence along the back of our property so he didn't have to mow it. Well he had cleared the fence row so dad had to figure somewhere else to put him. My mom had her pride and joy... a vokeswagon bug thing. So he chained him to the bumper of it out back. Well that afternoon we had to make a quick run to town. Only took @ 20 min. When we got back the pony and car were GONE! Took us over 3 hrs to find him on a neighbors property with the car stuck on a fence. Mom was not happy!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
Yes we miss them! One year when we were gone on vacation they painted our house and garage! Orange, pink, purple, bright green, ect. Every side was another color! People kept driving by, aparently they got word to the local newspaper 2 days before we got back so EVERYONE had to go see the loud house.:(
Now, these are some elaborate pranks!!! I can't imagine expending that much time or money on a running joke!

Funny, your story about the pony reminded me of another story but it has less to do with SS and more to do with dumb, hick, white-trash redneckness:

I knew a family of just such folks who had little scruples when it came to hunting...outlaws each and every one. No pride in the hunt, no honor in their lives. One of them hit a deer with his truck one morning and the deer had a sizable rack. He got out to saw off the antlers as only someone like that would do and he found the deer had only been stunned but was pretty much otherwise unharmed. He loaded it in the back of his truck, took it home and tied it to one of the pillars of the front porch.

Now, ya gotta picture a hilljack's house...standard unkempt, rickety and ancient farmhouse whose glory days were gone a good 50 year ago. So, here's this deer, tied to the porch and the idiot goes inside to have his breakfast. He voiced his intention of letting the deer come to its senses long enough for him to shoot it with his bow and check it in as a bow kill...get his picture on the wall at the local country store/beer stop/game checking station.

You can already tell where this story is going, can't you? Yes, the deer came to, jumped up and ran away with the rope around his neck...but not before he took the porch support along with him a little ways. Somewhere out there a very puzzled hunter(poacher, in that neck of the woods) is going to kill a buck with a nice rack of antlers....and a length of rope around his neck. Sure nuff he's going to rush home and tell his buddies that they are now making deer with the drag rope already attached!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Bee, that reminds me of a story I heard years ago.

There was a guy that had some deer antlers, whether it was some sheds, or from a deer he had gotten B4, I don't recall. He hadn't been having much luck getting a deer, so he took and attached screws to those antlers. Then, if he'd see a doe, but no buck while hunting, he'd shoot it and screw the antlers into the head. And, he make sure you couldn't tell it was actually a doe when he got to the check in point. Well, one day, one of those antlers pulled out when a game warden lifted up the head. Needless to say, the game warden was not amused nor impressed by his ingenuity.