Winter Blues

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I am a winter lover, too. Without winter, we wouldn't have Spring, my favorite season!

My ex definitely had SAD. He's much better off down in Florida (and far, far away from me!). I dreaded the coming of the holiday season, he was miserable throughout them, and that didn't change until mid-February or so. Of course he had many other issues, but I know the lack of sunshine exacerbated his dour mood.

My New and Improved Hubby 2.0 ;) is also a winter lover, so we're a good pair.

Enjoy the Ride has it right, vitamin D will help a great deal. We take 1,000 mg a day, all year round, we just started to take it this past summer, and I have to tell you, even during the high sun summer I noticed a difference in my mood. Some doctors are recommending up to 2,400 mg a day for two weeks to get blood levels up and then level off at 1,000. Of course I am not a doctor, so do your research and make your own determination!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well I am definitely going to get some vitaminD...and everyone in this house is going on it with me:>) I have to admit though that me and dd are probably the only ones who get moody in the winter:>) Two women like us in the same house and my poor DH deals with it so well:>)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
How about planting an ENORMOUS garden next spring? Then, after busting tail the entire summer and fall, winter will look like a nice long vacation ;)

Seriously, though, it really helped when we built a house with wood heat. It helps it feel more cozy inside and not quite as claustrophobic. Also, finding something that is really fun to do in the cold weather is helpful--skating, skiing, sledding, even just walking...

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Heehee...okay keeping busy all summer doesn't do it for me...I undertake HUGE projects every year simply because I have so much energy. Last summer was building a chicken coop, landscaping for a garage (which we ending up not building but it is ready... ) I built a stairway out of concrete and 4x6 tamarack. 15 steps total...outdoors...oh ya, I also put in a 14x12 garden and two flower gardens.
This year I put in a greenhouse on a concrete pad, put in a garden around it that is 16x40 ft. Built a huge garbage box for the neighborhood to keep the bears and stuff out of the garbage. At present dh and I are building a 16x 14 cabin with loft to house my daughter and her baby. So my summers are very very busy!
Woodheating I have and I love it immensely! Wouldn't live without it again! And we snowmobile icefish and spend alot of time outdoors in the winter. I don't know what to do anymore to get over SAD:>) But I try...and I stay very very busy!

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi Dace, I learned to knit a couple months ago by watching videos online. Just do a google search and alot of links will pop up. I tried a couple before I found an easy to follow one!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Wow I thought I was pretty much alone in my morbid winter blues!

I will get some Vit D for sure, I should really probably take a multi. vit but I can never remember to take pills every day.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
vitamin D will help a great deal. We take 1,000 mg a day, all year round, we just started to take it this past summer, and I have to tell you, even during the high sun summer I noticed a difference in my mood. Some doctors are recommending up to 2,400 mg a day for two weeks to get blood levels up and then level off at 1,000. Of course I am not a doctor, so do your research and make your own determination

***********Yup I heard this also and they say that vit D is super important...more than we ever give it credit. I too am taking doses and am noticing a difference...I will continue to take it also and see if I get to cloud nine! :)

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am just coming on to this topic. I was trying really hard to ignore it because I do not want to think about it. But seeing as how everyone is forcing me to (my need to join in ya know!). I hate the snow, hate it. All white, everywhere you look. COLD, hate the cold too. White and cold. Our last frost date is around the beginning of june. I used to snowmobile and ice skate but then life got in the way because I had to grow up and spend 8 1/2 hrs a day working. Oh which reminds me, going to work in the dark and it gets dark 1 hour after I get home. OK I will shut up.
How do I deal with it? Never really thought about it. My hubby has SAD. I help him deal with it. Cant afford to go to a tanning bed. We do have all spectrum lights in the house. I read a lot. Drink lots of HOT COCOA lol. Do whatever indoor things I put off til winter got here so I wouldnt feel bad about being inside during the summer.
Now, I now there are people who will correct me, but I think everyone who plans on taking vit D should check this on the internet. I thought you had to have sunlight to be able to assimilate the vit D properly. I know that they think the lack of sunlight for us northern hemisphere people may be the cause for some of us getting MS. So please check it out on the internet about the vit D.....

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
OK, I think it should only reasonably snow, and be cold, December 23 through December 25. That's it! Two days of cold and snow, just for Christmas, is good enough for me. I hate being cold!

Now my hubby, while he can get more done outside during the summer, loves the cold. He said he would rather be out working up a sweat in the cold winter than hot scorching summer. He said he can put more layers on to get warm but he can't take enough layers off to cool down.

Sadly, I cannot argue with his logic. Still, I hate being cold.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
OK, I think it should only reasonably snow, and be cold, December 23 through December 25. That's it! Two days of cold and snow, just for Christmas, is good enough for me. I hate being cold!

Sadly, I cannot argue with his logic. Still, I hate being cold.
I second that, but I could deal with snow dusting the ground during hunting season (makes tracking easier) and during the WHOLE month of december.
:D

Latest posts