Beverage Costs: Another Soapbox Moment

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I mentioned it in another post somewhere, but you can add about 20% fruit juice to the finished kombucha for other flavors. We are especially fond of cherry juice in ours.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We do water here and keep some fruit juice on hand for visitors and grandkids...don't do much dairy, so if we need milk we'll open a can of canned milk and dilute it for cereal and such. We also keep buttermilk on hand to drink a couple of times a week...it's yummy and a good probiotic. Mom does some green tea but I'm not a fan. My kids didn't get pop or sugary drinks when growing up but they sure do put them away now. :rolleyes:

A couple of times of year I drink a glass of pop at their homes and it burns so bad I make a face, gasp and comment on it and they think I'm crazy. That stuff is like drinking sugar acid! :eek: And if it has caffeine in it, it will keep me up all night long, no matter how early in the day I had imbibed it. I don't do well with caffeine and such.

Water is good and free here, so we keep a couple of jugs in the fridge at all times so that we have icy cold water. Can't beat that for a beverage that never lets you down and is healthy for all body systems.

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Soda is a huge addiction in my house. I personally don't drink it as much because of having issues with my teeth, the sugar hurts! But Mountain Dew was my go to poison of choice and I still swig down a monster energy drink when I'm working the overnight shift but it will last me the whole shift which is 5pm-2ish am. heck my husband bought himself a 34-pk of off brand Dr. Pepper and I think I've had three or four cans of it in like 2 weeks. At work I drink mostly water and coffee. My coffee has to be as sweet as I am though, at home its about 2tbsp per cup of coffee and a tiny amount of liquid creamer if I have it or a splash of milk, at work it equals I think up to about 10 sugar 6 cream in a large coffee. I'm not sure how much is in a button push for the sugar dispenser, I'll have to ask at work tomorrow. I'm the only juice drinker in the house so when I do buy it I make sure its the organic natural juices and I read the labels to keep the hinky stuff out. DH lives off coffee, home brewed sweet tea and water, occasionally he'll splurge for a case of soda.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you have to eat at a fast food place, ask for a water cup. Most here give them free. Some charge a quarter.

I just can't do sodas anymore. Too sweet

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We gave up all soda over two years ago...we were diet soda drinkers...one or two a day each. We have our 2 cups of coffee in the morning and the rest of the day it's water. We both drink over a gallon a day...from our well. We don't have to worry about restaurant water since we don't go out to restaurants....haven't been to one in years. We don't buy bottled water...such a farce...if we are going to be gone from home for a while, we take our own water with us.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Speaking of lemonade, I tried a recipe for strawberry lemonade concentrate. Water bath canned. SUPER YUMMY FANTASTIC! I made blueberry lemonade too - just as good, and costs less because we grow our own blueberries. I spent $60 on strawberries last year to try a bunch of canning recipes. The strawberry lemonade was the only one worth repeating.... I coulda saved $60....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I prefer my well water. I have a soda maybe once or twice a week some weeks but I usually skip it, and NO caffeine...it makes me crazy lol my niece sucks down sugar constantly.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well.....dammit! Ya'll just busted my lemon bubble for sure. I thought I was doing ok when I wouldn't let 'em float 'em inmy water... I always insist on them being on the side. Guess it doesn't matter...