Could my kefir be making me sick...Let's play detective

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Coffee sometimes makes me sick to my stomach. Especially in the last couple of months for some reason. I still drink it out of habit, but instead of 5 or 6 cups I may drink 1 or 1 1/2 and don't really want that. It makes me feel weak and shaky on occasion also. I wonder if they are doing something different with the beans? In the mornings I just want something hot to drink, don't really care what as long as it is hot.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So weird! Up until I had to quit for the same reasons, I was a huge coffee chugger, and so it/was everyone else I know.

Now all this anecdotal evidence has me wanting to dig for some hard facts. It can't be just us, can it?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Come to think of it......could it be from stress that your body is reacting to anything acidic? (idea of moving, changes in diet, etc) Our bodies can sometimes react to stress long before we're even conscience of it.
I'm just throwing this out there as another possibility, so take it or leave it as you see fit. But I know my tummy acts up with acidic foods when I'm stressed.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
As a Barista in my training they taught us that the longer a bean is roasted the less caffeine it contains, but the higher the acid. 'White (mostly raw or lightly roasted) coffee' has higher levels of caffeine, but less acid.

It is kind of a specialty thing, but if you really need your coffee fix, it might work for you.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
Dace, I've been drinking Morning Thunder tea (no laughing at the name) since I stopped drinking coffee, and I love it.
It's got a nice caffeine kick, but it doesn't give me the Wobble Barfs, or whatever we're going to call this phenomenon. :D
:lol: Sorry, I couldn't help myself!

Dace how are your "wobble barfs" this morning?

I quit coffee on Monday (I did free's detox this week) after reading this over and over, I just don't see the point of starting it up again. Maybe I need to try Occam's Thunder From Down Under tea. ;) :lol:

Hey Iceblink, thanks for the coffee lesson! I had absolutely no idea, very interesting indeed. :)

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BBH, I get mocked on a daily basis by a certain male for that tea.
I have no idea what is wrong with Celestial Seasonings, they come up with the worst tea names.

It's just black tea with mate in it, really :)

(I don't know how to make an accent over the E in mate)

Edited for rogue punctuation.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I had no idea that coffee was so bothersome to so many!

As to the question about stress....I can physically feel tress but never in my tummy. :idunno ....I am not dismissing it, just that is not my typical response.

This morning I had tea. :thumbsup

Get this....I had my breakfast (smoothie and an egg) and right now... 60 mins later....I have stomach cramps and feel like I am going to puke. I am actually going to lay down....which I never do!

Although, we were out really late last night and had dinner with some out of town friends, so it could just be that I did a number on myself. I made good dinner choices (spinach salad, stuffed dover sole (brie, shrimp & crab) and a few sauted mushrooms one glass of champagne) but I also ate way past my bedtime. Didn't eat until like 10:30 and didn't get home till almost 1 :th

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I was going to add that as we get older our bodies tend to react differently to normal stuff. I'm not trying to say you're getting old or anything :hide but I've noticed over the years changes in my physical reactions to normal everyday stuff. It's like our systems change over time as to what it's willing to tolerate or not.
That makes me think of the changes from pre-menopause may effect your system's coping mechanisms.

But from the sounds of it, it's not just small changes & irritations or adjustments. Whatever is troubling you is sounding a little more serious.
I strongly agree with your reluctance to see a doctor, but I'm beginning to think you may need a professional (for whatever that's worth), but atleast it may give you a better idea of how to heal yourself. And if you keep putting it off, you may wind up in the ER and that's not good for you or your family.
:hugs & prayers your way

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
ok so here is an more cohesive summary update...maybe this will give us clues....if nothing else it gives me a clearer picture.

Last Thursday I suddenly became sick to my stomach 1 -1 1/2hours after eating my normal breakfast (2 c coffee, followed a couple hours later by a smoothie (homemade kefir, blanched broccoli, carrots, 3/4 c blueberries & 1/2 banana and a fried egg).

Every day following I was getting a weird indigestion/queasy feeling in the same time frame after eating. I began suspecting something was wrong with my kefir.
On Sat AM I had Easter shopping to do, so I grabbed a cup of coffee for the road along with a handful of almonds and an apple. Felt fine. Had my smoothie at lunch time before a 10 mile bike ride and had no trouble.

Then I started to suspect my coffee...due to you smart folks here. :D

Yesterday I had my coffee paid close attention and quickly felt the indigestion coming on so skipped my breakfast, ate lightly and eventually it went away (hours later)

This morning I had tea....paid attention to how I felt, was fine. Made my usual breakfast. Then with in an hour I was feeling seriously ill. Bloated gassy, pain up high in my stomach, but gas pressure down lower.

I don't get it...my thought was that perhaps something that I ate last night maybe was 'in process' and it wasn't going well?

My only hold up with the Dr is I really don;t think it is anything serious. I don't end up with indigestion or feeling sick all day...if that was the case then I would absolutely be worried and go for a check up.

My kefir smells and looks perfectly normal, but I so have some spare grains so I am going to start a new batch... can't hurt.

Other than the brand of coffee that I had just switched to, the only other thing that is different is the addition of broccoli. I have never been a broccoli fan and just recently started adding it to my smoothies, just to get some in me.

So does anyone see anything there that I don't see?

PS...

OF....thank you for the concern. I am 42 so I guess I am fair game for pre menopause :idunno
MTN....it only hurts at the same time frame in the AM not any other time of the day, like after dinner....I would think an ulcer would be irritated at different times. But I really don't know!