North or South?

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BBH- Um... Well... Never been there! I've seen it often enough, as it's less than 10 minutes from my house, and remember that place I picked up my soapmaking supplies? It's only a few blocks away from that, I walked past it on my way there... Sometime I'll get there. At the risk of totally hijacking this thread, maybe I'll start a new one where we link fun places in our towns. I love seeing the places people eat or hang out and such.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Ohh, thats a good idea Henny!

Yes T, I do have too much time on my hands!! I'm actually waiting for my mom to get home from work so we can butcher chickens. Today was supposed to be her day off but her supervisor called her in because she didn't want to look stupid in front of a 13 y/o who needed them to do something with a science project. So here I sit.

I updated the map! LOL.

854_946_854_map.jpg

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
Ok, Amos, you did awesome with that map!

I am in Oklahoma, hear the center of the state between the 2 state capitols (the original was Guthrie and the current and "official", which is Oklahoma City)

Here it gets hot in the summer, we have a few days in the low 100's (I have only lived here 3 years) and in the winter we get the occasional ice or snow storm but it does not generally stay below freezing long enough for any ice or snow to stick around much more than a day.

This is another fun thread. :)

LoveChooks, can you put a map in the thread to show us where in Austrailia you are?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
OkieAnnie said:
Ok, Amos, you did awesome with that map!

I am in Oklahoma, hear the center of the state between the 2 state capitols (the original was Guthrie and the current and "official", which is Oklahoma City)

Here it gets hot in the summer, we have a few days in the low 100's (I have only lived here 3 years) and in the winter we get the occasional ice or snow storm but it does not generally stay below freezing long enough for any ice or snow to stick around much more than a day.

This is another fun thread. :)

LoveChooks, can you put a map in the thread to show us where in Austrailia you are?
Hey OkieAnnie, Did you know you are in the same planting zone as me (BBH) waaaay up there in the North West?! We have mild temps like Oklahoma and North Carolina.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
You know. Its gonna be a full map before long. LOL

Okieannie - great idea to see where lovechooks is.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm in the green, funny looking state, WV. It is the northern most southern state and the southern most northern state! When you are looking straight on at this state you will see a northern panhandle that sticks straight up from the top of our state. You will also see an eastern panhandle that sort of resembles a teapot spout....I live in the elbow of that spout. I like to call it the "armpit" of WV!!! :lol: :lol:

Its beautiful here with relatively mild winters with temps ranging from single digit temps to 50s, but averaging in the 30s. Our high temps are usually low 90s but rarely do we go out of the 80s in the summer. Our humidity is low due to the elevation here and summer temps average in the high 70s to mid-80s.

Our snow fall used to be heavy but hasn't been so since the 70s, with one big snow fall in 1978 that covered our then current home to the roofline. Now we are lucky to have 4 in. in one snowfall.

Where I live there are high mountains that appear blue in the distance and are part of a mountain range called the Blue Ridge Mountains. There are large valleys that sweep up to the foot of the mountains. These valleys are so green it almost hurts your eyes and they are dotted with cattle and sheep.

The water here is cold and crystal clear and the mountains are full of caves, and springs that have the most pure and sweet tasting waters I've ever tasted.

We have a lot of hard woods, so our autumns are spectacular, a blaze of glory on the mountains, with air so pure its like breathing diamonds.

Wildlife is abundant here on this side of the state and we have numerous black bear, mountain lions, coyotes, deer, bald eagles and many different species of hawks, herons, and songbirds.

Our growing season is short but our soils are pretty fertile but tend to be a little acid. We are an agricultural area with the major products being poultry, hay, timber, cattle and sheep.

I am near no large cities and only one large town 50 miles away and in the next state.

So...that's the Mountain State. :)

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I dont know how to do all that fancy map stuff so ill just tell you that i live 40 miles north east of Birmingham Alabama in a small town called Odenville, its a farming area alot of folks have cows horses goats hogs chickens, typical farm country.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Amos said:
Ohh, thats a good idea Henny!

Yes T, I do have too much time on my hands!!
OK Amos, since you have too much time on your hands, maybe you can do something I haven't been able to figure out. Since we have over 1000 members, as 2 dream said, " It's going to be a full map before long". I was trying to break it down into 6 regions but the quality of the map degraded to the point where you couldn't read it. I went out and got a map of the northeast but could only get one in PDF and couldn't open it in paint to be able to edit it. Any ideas?