tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Here we go!
20211013_113938.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm coming at this from a different angle... I believe by sprouting your wheat, your actually malting it. This is what it's called when brewing beer. You take the grains and sprout them, then dry them out and mill them to crack them. Then you steep them in hot water to allow the natural enzymes to convert the starches into sugars. They you drain and rinse them in more hot water to get every last little bit of sugars out of the grains. And all that liquid becomes beer wort that you boil, cool to room temperature then ferment with beer yeast. Of course all of what I just said is so high-level it's of little to no value to actually produce a drinkable beer. But I find it really interesting that you're going to make malted bread. It sounds delicious 😋 let us know how it turns out, please 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't learned any new SS skills in a long time. I's time for some challenges!
Understand that! Plus you often are working to deal with your food needs/ restrictions. That's something many...most...of us don't have to strongly consider.

My skill expansions are more animal foods, farm produced. Well, the doing it part. We all have our goals, limits, adjustments.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
At a smallish, country store with a butcher, saw a sign for beef fat, $1.99 lb. Saw nothing for lard or chicken fat. 🤔 surprised at that one really. Some things are hard to come by, even when no shortages!

At the price of that wheat, some expensive bread making!
I saw sprouted wheat flour at a bulk food store yesterday. $2.97/pound. 😲 That sticker shock is keeping me going right now.

I'm trying the coarse ground flour in a simple bread loaf. It is less-bad than my last experiment (so far). Beginning of second rise:View attachment 16832

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I saw sprouted wheat flour at a bulk food store yesterday. $2.97/pound. 😲 That sticker shock is keeping me going right now.

I'm trying the coarse ground flour in a simple bread loaf. It is less-bad than my last experiment (so far). Beginning of second rise:View attachment 16832
I'm dumping my sourdough and starting again

Maybe one day I'll get it right 🤔