WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Even though I am diabetic, I just can't get into using anything but real sugar when I cook or can. So, I don't eat much of it. I do use Splenda in my coffee, which I am sure doesn't sit well with some, but the other stuff tastes nasty to me.

My dad is diabetic as well, and last year I made him some sugar free jam. He threw it out. But then again, he's not particularly nice most of the time.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I am having the crappiest day ever, feeling discouraged and overwhelmed. And tired of the crap I get from my parents about my lifestyle. I am nearing 60 and they STILL think I have to obey them ! I try not to let it get to me, but this morning it just did.

So I decided to find a way to calm down and decided to work in the yard and then finish canning the meat from the freezer so I will have room for the rest of my baking.

o, I started with four pints of breakfast sausage, then moved on to 14 pints of taco meat, and now I am finishing up the first of two batches of 7 quarts of spaghetti sauce.

The 4 year old is spending the night, and to tell you the truth, I am just too tired to play with her, and besides I want to lie down or cry or something.

Whiney old women are a PITA.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No, we're not. We are strong women who have lived life, know how it can get to you, and have the experience to let of it go outward out of our bodies and heart. Its those that hold it in, that cause serious internal issues.

Old women let it go after a good cry or a good deep dive into that pit, and then emerge even stronger for it. I know. I'm still practicing this phenonemen.

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Canning is very therapeutic for me. It gives me time to meditate while working. I found strawberries at $1 a lb last week. I washed them, chopped them in the food processor and I now have 18 quarts of strawberry Jam and strawberry syrup.

My DH also helps when I can and I get some quality time with him.

When the vegetable come in theres nothing like snapping green beans on the porch with a loved one. I am now usually snapping alone but thinking of my dear granny. I snapped beans every Summer as a child with her.

Can with Pride Ladies! We're not just "putting up" a product, We are preserving family history and love.

NurseNettie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Asparagus! First cutting of the season. Cut 1 1/2 hours ago, in the canner waiting for the temp to come up.

Last year we had so much rain and bad weather that I had 2 meals,and1 frozen bag ful of them. I'm determined to have MUCH more this year :) I even cut them standing in the POURING rain.

Only 4 small jars, but I'm impressed that I got that much, this early in the season :) Yay!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well I canned them yesterday but I pressure canned a full load of pints, kidney and black beans.

I use them often and this is such a money saver.

gina

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I think it was the day before yesterday, I canned seven quarts of chiken pot pit filling.

I am having a problem actually using my food. All I can think of was how hard it was to do, and I can't open the jars!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:barnie Don't say that. It is so satisfying being able to open 4 jars and have an entire meal for your family. You should eat each and every one of those jars with pride and satisfaction.

gina

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Here is how I got around THAT little hitch in my psyche.

"It is my duty to rotate my stocks to retain the freshest foods possible."

That means you have to eat them. Besides eating them frees up more empty jars ... jars that need filling! :woot

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, I though ldy meant maybe her arthritis prevented her from physically opening the jars!

Yeah, ldy, open those jars! You need more jars to fill!

Besides, YOU DESERVE IT! You are worthy to eat that lovely food. I'm proud of you, girl! You are my canning hero!