Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Still painting that outhouse...seems like that never ends right now. Mom's painting another coat inside while I'm framing the windows and door outside. It's not going so smooth on my end...already spilled a paint can on me, mis-cut a board, misjudged the size of nail I'd need for mounting the framework, got green paint on my red boards and got bug repellent in my mouth.

Mama didn't name me Grace for a good reason.... o_O :oops:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Working on this outhouse in bits and pieces, still. Got the seat box painted today and also the floor, first coat. This plywood just soaks in the paint, so even two coats is not enough for the lighter paints...I think I'm going to have to repeat the coat to the yellow in most areas of the plywood.

But...it's starting to shape up, if I do say so myself...very cheery place to sit and contemplate life while doing the necessary. Need to get it done before Saturday...going to have a bonfire/cookout to celebrate the ol' Bat's B-day and would like folks to use the outhouse if they can, instead of tracking in and out of the house all evening. Most won't use it anyway, but hope springs eternal.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
@Joel_BC , I need your expertise and talent for invention. I need to devise a chicken skinner...my hands and arms are getting a little arthritic and weak when it comes to skinning old chickens. Those hides feel like they've been welded on lately!

I'm thinking of a vice like apparatus to clamp down on and hold the skinned down neck...it would have to have teeth for grasping that slender, slick object. I'd cape the neck down, slit up the breast, cut off wings. After that, I need to use the golf ball method of skinning on the cape and somehow pull mightily downward on that cape...would need some pulleys or some such to take the strain off my own body and onto the skinner.

The skin would be shucked down all the way to the tail, pause, cut that free, continue to pull it down off the legs until the feet could be cut off.

After the slit on the front and taking off the wings, the chicken would be lying front downward in the apparatus for ease in skinning the rest.

Any ideas?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Whoa! Tall order, Bee. o_O :sick

If I think of something, or come across something, I'll post. I'm sure others here will too. :caf

I know! But...I need it, so I have to come up with something by November when it's butchering time. I'm going to see how small a block and tackle system I can get at TSC and see if I can't fashion something with that.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The come along would be great....though I didn't want to spend that much money on it, I may break down and do so.

I have a vice already mounted on my picnic table/work bench in the yard and was going to add some kind of "teeth" on the gripper plates so I won't have to buy a new vice...they are a tad pricey. This is the table on which I butcher anyway.

So far you are thinking along the lines I am also, so that's a good feeling. Means I'm not totally cra-cra. :D

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The come along would be great....though I didn't want to spend that much money on it, I may break down and do so.
Look around. There may be better deals than that Amazon price.

Of course it's always a matter of time, place, and good fortune. But knowing the usefulness of certain tools and equipment is what's needed to find the truly useful 2nd-hand bargains at yard sales, flea markets, pawn shops, etc.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Agreed. I just found a come along for $5 on a FB Market place but the seller is too far away from me to make it a good deal. I'd use more in gas getting there and back than I would if I bought one new.

I'll check the Habitat store this week and see what they have.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Look around. There may be better deals than that Amazon price.

Of course it's always a matter of time, place, and good fortune. But knowing the usefulness of certain tools and equipment is what's needed to find the truly useful 2nd-hand bargains at yard sales, flea markets, pawn shops, etc.

Joel...what about a winch?

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpow...F8&qid=1506474064&sr=8-1&keywords=small+winch

Would that be easier to work than a come along? I like the idea of cranking instead of ratcheting but would one have more pull power over the other and give more ease on my own part? I like the crank handle as it seems like it would be quicker and I could mount that on the picnic bench pretty easily.

Latest posts