Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've used a come along before but not a winch....I think I'd prefer the winch as it seems faster. And the winch is cheaper than the come along and possibly more versatile....could use it along with our block and tackle to hoist deer up in the tree for skinning.

I'm going to order that winch from Amazon...after watching and reading reviews on it, it seems the perfect thing. I have a pulley on hand that could even increase the ease of it all for me, though I may not need it. I'll try it with and without.

After I get it all set up I'll kill a chicken and do a run through. Work out the kinks, if any, and do another. When I get it working smooth, I'll do a video and post it.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've been following along with this whole conversation. I'm really looking forward to seeing if this works for you. I love seeing a project through from original problem to eventual solution! I'm glad you shared your conversation with us. (It's almost like being on an old fashioned telephone party line!) :)

I'm glad you are liking it! It helps to bounce ideas off other people...it's just Mom and I back here and she just sits on the fringe of all my crazy DIY projects and watches, doesn't give much feedback other than supporting me in all that I do, which is plenty and enough.

I ordered the winch today after reading the reviews and watching reviews on YT..this winch is second in the line up of best winches of 2016 and all for a total of $17.77, free shipping. Not bad.

After reading what people are doing with this simple little 600 lb capacity hand crank winch, I think it will do the job and nicely. Can't wait to set this up and try it out on a chicken. Right now it's like a glass blower's furnace out there, not good weather for man or beast, so butchering will not be happening until things cool down a good bit.

The good thing about this winch is I plan to incorporate it into other jobs on the homestead....like hoisting deer into the skinning tree and winching heavy carts of firewood up the ramp onto the porch this winter.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Not yet....but I'm going to go to a flea market tomorrow to see about getting some materials for maybe making a better system. Possibly devising my own winch that's not so heavy duty as this one...it's an overkill, really.

And, my son wants to make a wooden vise clamp instead of the huge metal vise I'm currently using.

It's a work in progress. I also need to devise a way that all the pulling of the hide isn't concentrated on one point but across the breadth of the hide or at least on two points equidistant to one another for a more even pulling so that the hide doesn't tear.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Found something to incorporate into the chicken shucker...one of my apple peelers. Today Eli and I worked on the design and are really close to finishing it. Can't wait!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Alas, Sumi, the chicken shucker design was a bust. Tried it yesterday and the components I wanted to use were not successful in creating enough torque to peel a chicken. The actual winch I ordered would do so, but I was hoping to scale down to something more lightweight than that, so was hoping to create a winch and pulley system with a large bait casting reel instead...not strong enough.

Then the apparatus I was using to hold the hide while pulling was also too fiddly, making it difficult for my arthritic hands to apply it quickly and smoothly.

The one successful portion was the mini vise we comprised from a C clamp for holding the neck while force was applied to the hide. I will keep that design as I go forward but my focus has changed from a winch system to an easier way to apply force for peeling the hide.

The winch I bought will be used for lifting and skinning deer this season and also will be using it to bring firewood up the ramp and onto the porch this year.

Back to the drawing board!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Next project is building me a bed frame out of 4x4s. Though, it won't be me this time...my son has elected to do the build and says he doesn't need my help. Imagine that! :th

That will give me a chance to work on my outside sink setup...finally...though tomorrow through Fri. will be all about splitting firewood.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Those crates would be so easy to make yourself! And so handy to have around too...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've never skinned a chicken before. I built a crealbilly plucker out of a pvc pipe cap some buggie cords and a length of thread all. But looks like your method is very effective - great work and thanks for sharing. pictures really help also.

I have no need for skin, as I can all my chicken, so it's just easier to skin them. Don't like having to heat the water, etc. for plucking when the skin will be discarded anyway.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have no need for skin, as I can all my chicken, so it's just easier to skin them. Don't like having to heat the water, etc. for plucking when the skin will be discarded anyway.

Good point... So how do you get one of those full sized chickens in a canning jar? I've wanted to try and pressure can a few but couldn't figure out how to get it in a jar. Can you share your secret? I've seen whole canned chicken at the store.

Google image
F5o9DbJyvxQzvnoOAAXrOqLJHvL9A6TLiRIoNjYZu5M.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts